If you’re a podcaster looking to improve your search engine optimization (SEO) and increase your visibility online, the That Sounds Fun Network is here to help!
But first, you may be wondering what SEO is and why it’s important: Improving your SEO is the process of optimizing your website and its content to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) for specific keywords and phrases. The goal of SEO is to increase organic traffic to your website and improve its visibility in search engine results.
SEO is important because it helps you attract more targeted traffic to your website, which can lead to increased sales, leads, or podcast listeners. By optimizing your website for search engines, you can improve the user experience, making it easier for people to find what they are looking for on your website. It can also help you build credibility and trust with your target audience, as people tend to trust search engines and are more likely to click on results that appear at the top of the page.
SEO is also key because it is a cost-effective way to promote your website and reach a larger audience. While paid advertising can be effective, it can also be expensive, and budgets may not allow for it. SEO, on the other hand, can be done at little to no cost, and can provide long-term benefits to your website’s traffic and visibility.
Here are some essential items to include in your SEO checklist for your podcast:
- Choose relevant and specific titles: Your podcast title should be descriptive and informative, so listeners can quickly understand what your podcast is about. Avoid generic or broad titles that may not stand out in search results.
- Optimize your podcast description: Podcast descriptions ought to be detailed and keyword-rich, providing a comprehensive summary of your podcast content. Use pertinent keywords and phrases that potential listeners might use when they search for your podcast.
- Use a consistent naming convention: Use consistent naming conventions for your podcast episodes, including the episode number, title, and/or your podcast guest name. This helps keep you organized and makes it easier for listeners to find specific episodes.
- Leverage show notes: Including show notes on your website or blog can help increase your visibility in search engines. Use relevant keywords and links to other related content to provide context for your podcast episode.
- Submit your podcast to directories: Such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher to increase your visibility.
- Promote your podcast on social media: Use social media to promote your podcast, increase your reach, and encourage listeners to subscribe and leave reviews.
- Collaborate with other podcasters: Collaborating with other podcasts in your niche can help reach new audiences! Consider doing a promo or episode swap with another podcast to share your content with a potential new audience and vice-versa. This is a free way to market your show while supporting a fellow podcaster.
- Monitor and analyze your metrics: Use tools like Google Analytics to monitor and analyze your website traffic, track your rankings in search engines, and identify areas for improvement.
Utilizing these SEO best practices will help improve your podcast’s visibility and attract new listeners all around! Sign up for our newsletter, The After Party to get access to more podcasting insights.